Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Wikipedia...Wikiwhatia?

Have you noticed your students citing a large number of their references from something called Wikipedia?

Not since the advent of AskJeeves has an Internet reference source been so popular with students. So, what is the Wikipedia and should your students be using it?


WHAT IS IT?
The Wikipedia is a free online encyclopedia But wait...there's more! What makes the Wikipedia different from traditional online or print encyclopedias is the fact that the content is written by volunteers and can be edited by anyone at any time. This means that it is constantly changing and you never know who's writing the articles. Read more details here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia

WHAT KIND OF TECHNOLOGY IS USED?
The Wikipedia uses a technology called Wiki, which stands for "What I Know Is." Wiki is a collaborative web-based technology in which individuals form a community for the purpose of documenting something. A server software allows the people to easily create and edit Web page content using any type of web browser.

SHOULD STUDENTS USE IT? IT DEPENDS ON THE PURPOSE.
So, should your students be using it as a resource for a college project? This is debatable, but in general my answer would be No...for citing in bibliographies. There is loads of good information available via the Wikipedia, but most of this information is also available somewhere else, in formats that are more stable and that are written by authorities whom are verifiable and reputable in their field. This is how I tell students I use the Wikipedia:

  • I use it to familiarize myself with a topic I'm unfamiliar with;
  • to develop lists of keywords and names of people;
  • to find references to other articles and books.
  • Then, I go out and do my own research using library's resources such as the library catalog or periodical databases to find the more stable, authoritative sources.

SOME WICKED WIKI HUMOR

The Onion has a great article spoofing Wiki's. Check it out!
http://www.theonion.com/content/node/40990

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home